12/2: Ugh, I posted this hastily last week as I was killing a half hour before leaving for the Thanksgiving Holiday. A few things to note:
~I suppose I misspeak when I say I want to do a '70.3'. This refers to actual Ironman-branded events. None of these, as you will see in the next bullet, made the final 'short list'
~It may have helped to actually write down the races I was considering while answering these. The races that did initially make the 'short list' were:
Eagleman 70.3 - Early June, MD Eastern Shore (which filled up as I was working on this the past few weeks, I'm not heartbroken as it seems to generally be regarded as a sufferfest, though flat)
Musselman - Early July, Finger Lakes, NY
Rev3 Cedar Point - Early September, Sandusky, OH
Other ones that were considered, but didn't make the list for whatever reason were:
Kinetic Half- Lake Anna (WAY too close to Columbia)
DC/National Harbor 70.3 (DC in August? Are you mad?)
New Orleans 70.3 (April is too early, maybe next year)
Beach2Battleship, NC (November is too late- THOUGH, I just went to look it up again and they changed it to mid-October. Hmmm)
Poconos 70.3 (I think I would like to see if they make the transitions less complicated after they take into account this year's comments :) )
So anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Continuing on the theme of substituting blog reading for actual training, this was another good article at active.com. I've been debating on and off whether to commit to a half-ironman in 2012. The 13.1 on my car bumper only serves to remind me that I really want that to read '70.3.' I think these questions will lead me in the right direction. Forgive me while I ramble for a few pages.
What is your financial status or your predicted status a year from now? Could you be investing in coaching, equipment or education instead that could make you faster or more efficient for a (half-)Ironman race two years from now?
I don't anticipate my financial status to change significantly, unless I end up buying a house at some point next year. There's always the potential for me to invest in other resources- coaching/analysis, equipment upgrades, etc. I think a good question is, do you spend money for the instant gratification of a race of this magnitude, or invest for the future? Am I going to be going 70.3 or longer more than once? Do I want to try to qualify for anything? Will I still want to be doing this two years from now? I still don't know the answer to these questions.
Ruling: The gut rules on this one. Just go for it now while I have the time and $$ resources.
Do you need a massive new goal to motivate you and your training? This could be just what you need! Or you could be setting yourself up for disaster. Make sure you have a solid base of training before signing up. The "couch to Ironman" program is not recommended.
This has gone through my mind more than once. I have one half marathon and a handful of sprints under my belt. The HIM program through DC Tri Club has a target race of Eagleman, Musselman, or the like in early summer, and recommends I have at least an Olympic completed before the program starts in January. My first Olys aren't scheduled till May. (Peasantman and Columbia). I would definitely need to work on recovery in that May-June timeframe. There's not alot of time for recovery and rebuild in there. I would essentially have to go for an HIM plan from zero. (Well, not necessarily from zero if I bite the bullet and sign up for R&R DC Half 3/17, which I am THISCLOSE to doing.) There's always the option of a late-season 70.3 (Rev3 Cedar Point?) with the risk training through the summer (and we all know how well that works out for me.)
Ruling: The gut says 'whoa, you crazy.' Wait it out and build for another year.
Are you avoiding other projects in your life? Athletes often use training as a distraction. It's a means of feeling accomplished while at the same time procrastinating the projects that have been on the back burner (career; personal relationships; finances).
HAHAHAHA. Avoidance. Good question. I have periodic moments of panic where I'm convinced I'm going to be alone the rest of my life, and I need to start 'working' towards some goal in that department. But I'm also convinced that relationships don't work unless you know yourself first. I'm still taking the time to figure out what I want out of my career and my life and what defines 'me'. If part of what defines 'me' is going out and proving to myself that I can go 70.3, then I'm not avoiding anything. It's just a part of the path to discovery.
Ruling: Just do it already.
How are your relationships with your family and friends? Can they withstand the heavy time commitment required with Ironman training? Will your bike see more action than your bed? Do you only socialize with triathletes or do you have a healthy balance of different friendships?
I've written here more than once about the balance that is necessary and the frustrations that I've found in this area. I think I do have a healthy balance of (1) friends that I can train with and (2) friends that are willing to put up with me talk about training. :-P
Ruling: Definitely have the support system in place to do something like this.
Would a year of racing focused on shorter faster distances help set you up better for Ironman success? Maybe you need to shake off some of the heavy endurance muscles and tap into speed in your legs that may have been beat down from years of long-distance training.
I have really been enjoying building up my speed the last few months, at least in the run. I don't really have any 'heavy endurance muscles' to shake off yet lol.
Ruling: FAST! I really could see myself just focusing on Olys for the year.
Have you had your blood tested recently to make sure you are not deficient in essential minerals? Women specifically, have you had your feritin tested? Are you in optimal health?
Hmm, haven't had my iron checked in a while. I have no idea what feritin is yet. (according to Wikipedia, it's the protein that carries iron in the blood. score!)
Ruling: Not a show stopper here...
Are you trying to qualify for Kona? Make sure you pick a race based on your strengths so that you can optimize your chances of qualifying in your age group.
HAHAHAHA. Sorry. Couldn't help it.
Ruling: Just trying to finish...
Are you trying to PR on a favorite course? If so, have you adjusted your training plan? You can't expect different results if you are training the same.
Ruling: Just trying to finish...
Have you considered signing up for a race with a group of people? Training buddies are great support on for a journey like this? It could be a great opportunity to meet new people or build bonds with triathletes you already know.
Hmm, HIMP, NTP buddies, MoCo peeps...
Ruling: Yep, there are multiple opportunities for training buddies...
Are you turning this trip into a family vacation? If so, does it meet the needs of those in your family or is it purely selfish? Did you do the same "family" trip last year?
Rev3 Cedar Point would please everyone in this department...
Ruling: Friends and family would travel to see me I think, and CP is tough to turn down...
Sooo... Assuming I can keep my act together during the summer, Rev 3 Cedar Point is currently the front runner. There. It's written down. So now you all can hold me to this later when I try to deny it.
Add this to my Christmas wish list. Ooh, which is a great idea for a next post.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Awesome post Steph!! There's definitely a lot to think about before committing to a 70.3.
ReplyDeleteMy two cents... I definitely agree about just do it if you're motivated and have the resources, time, etc... if you have doubts about an early season race though, shoot for Rev3 CP. It didn't fill up last year, so you could even play it by ear and train for it all spring/summer, but then wait til later on to sign up. Rev3 is on my tentative calendar, so it would fun to meet up for another race!
Also - so funny it mentioned ferritin. I had a full panel of blood work done in summer 2010 and was pronounced severely anemic due to crazy low ferritin levels. It's like, there was enough iron floating around in my blood, but without the ferritin to transport it, it was totally useless to me. This was the test I had done- http://www.spectracell.com/products/micronutrient-testing-product-specifications/
It wasn't cheap (I think ~$200) but it tests everything you can possibly think of so you know what supplements you need... in my case, I had deficiencies in B, C, and D vitamins, magnesium, iron, calcium, selenium, chromium, and probably one or two other things I'm forgetting. It's sort of ridiculous how many vitamins I take every day :\
Ok, I think that's it for the longest comment ever :)