I think I need to
(1) pick a bike
(2) buy a bike
(3) install pedals
(4) learn how to use pedals
(in that order) before justifying buying new spiffy shoes.
Pedals are frustrating. As a cheap man's triathlete, I want to be able to use the stuff I buy as frequently as possible. So SPDs are pretty much the only option for indoor spinning. Why? WHY? Spinning is much more like road biking than mountain biking, but noone wants to use SPDs for road biking, since they're not as stable or comfortable. Is this some conspiracy to get us to buy as much as possible??
[/rant]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Actually... I used SPD's on my road bike for the first 2 years I did cycling/triathlon! Mostly because I wanted to be able to use the same shoes for gym spinning and riding my bike and didn't want to buy a pair of each. I have progressed from the cheap man's triathlete to someone who spends their entire 2010 bonus check on race wheels that cost more than my whole bike itself :)
ReplyDeleteSPD's are actually a lot easier to learn to clip into and out of than regular road pedals. I actually don't notice a whole lot of difference between stability/comfort between the two either.
Maybe also look into SpeedPlay pedals too if you decide to definitely not go the SPD route. They have different degrees of "float" (how far your foot rotates around in the pedal - kind of hard to explain) and some of my friends have said they prefer those because they alleviate knee pain/pressure.
good to hear that i'm not completely crazy on this topic :) also, i heard the same thing about speedplays. i may have to investigate, someday.
ReplyDelete