Well, again, it's been a while. The big news is... I put in a bid on a condo yesterday. I don't want to talk about it because I'm afraid I'll jinx it. Suffice it to say the decision has taken up most of my waking hours and spare energy for the last week or so.
Jen and I did manage to get started on Army Ten Miler training this past week. (The poor girl is a trooper, her HVAC has been broken for the last 2+ weeks, so whenever the weather is >90 degrees she comes to stay with us, and I get to show her some of the local Rockville running routes.) We did a lovely 2+ miler late last Tuesday night. I missed having that motivating factor of keeping moving if only because the person next to you still is. I had a little stiffness in my calves, but no significant foot pain, which was surprising.
I made a trip to Chevy Chase Running Company on Wednesday for two things- 1. a podiatrist was visiting doing free consultations and 2. I could tell I was due for new sneakers. The podiatrist couldn't reproduce any of the pain I've been having lately, and said basically I should come in for some XRays and custom orthotic fittings (which I'm pretty sure she's obligated to say to everyone). Between Max the team member/salesguy, the podiatrist, and the camera set up behind the treadmill, we were able to come up with the best shoes for me. It's funny how the most comfortable shoes resulted in the best pronation/eversion alignment of my ankles (Max says this happens for most people). I had never had a shoe 'fitting' before (I would just go to the store and pick out the pair that was on sale) so I left there feeling pretty confident that things would turn up.
Unfortunately, I went out on Friday morning and was miserable. My feet felt like I was running on hot marbles- sharp pain all over the bottom of my feet, and it felt like my ankles had little to no stability or control. I had to stop and adjust my new shoes a few times. I think because this model of Asics is more supportive and more rigid than my last pair, I probably didn't need to put the old Superfeet in. I've also been so stressed out lately that my shallow breathing is adversely affecting my running- I can't ever catch my breath. Another sign of stress manifesting in me that I need to manage. I also don't know what it is about Bethesda Trolley Trail- I have a bad run whenever I head down that way. I'm going to blame it on all the car emissions drifting up as I run OVER 270 and 495.
However, this morning the weather broke (75 and sunny!) I took the Superfeet out, and headed on an out-and-back past the Metro station for a 2+miler. While not perfect, at least it wasn't miserable. There is hope yet. I'm trying to remember if things felt this bad at the beginning of CB and I think they did, if not worse. So, we soldier on.
Side note: Well, hello there, hot, tall, dark haired guy at the Metro in the button-down shirt and nice pants and carrying your running shoes, who *smiled* at me as I ran by. When can I "run" into you again?? :)
And, oh man, I am in love with 'Eat Pray Love.' I feel like I'm reading my own thoughts and observations and insecurities, even though I've never taken such an epic trip to such locations. I'm fully convinced I was supposed to be reading this book at this time in my life, so I can live vicariously through her, and learn how she is learning.
earworm: eagerly awaiting new Sarah Bareilles in the next few weeks
currently reading: Eat Pray Love - Elizabeth Gilbert
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yay for bidding on a condo! I just went through that a few months ago and know how utterly nerve-wracking it is. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
ReplyDeleteShoe fitting is soooo important. When I trained for my first marathon, I bought the same pair of Saucony's that a co-worker wore. She was a multiple-time Boston qualifier and so I figured they *had* to be good shoes. Maybe so, but they were a cushiony, neutral shoe and I later found out I'm a horrible over-pronator... I pretty much destroyed my knees/shins/IT bands from running in them for 6 months, and couldn't run for ~4 months after the marathon AND was almost convinced I just had bad joints/legs and wasn't cut out for distance running. Good thing I'm so stubborn :) I'd say to give it some time to adapt. Also, maybe look into having your gait/footstrike analyzed... if you're striking wrong repetitively, that can lead to pain over time.
I am in love with ELP too! It's so good to be reading after ~6 months of relationship ups and downs and being single now. I don't think I could have articulated a lot of the stuff in there on my own, but after reading it, I always have this "oh my gosh, that's exactly how I feel!" moment.