So here's an update.
I've been officially discharged from PT (again) as my neck/shoulder/arm radicular symptoms have been greatly reduced. (though admittedly not fully resolved). I need to stick with my shoulder/core strengthening regimen so that I don't get another bout of recurring symptoms.
I've been slowly growing more comfortable, and more addicted, even, to indoor spin classes. I'm talking 3-4 times a week, which is more than I've committed to anything in recent memory. It's such a fantastic low impact workout where I feel better after than I did before (unlike my recent experiences with running). It's encouraging that I'm actually looking forward to going to the gym again.
I've been pursuing the LLS/TNT route for a sprint triathlon. I've been interested for a number of reasons: friends' good experiences, the support of a real training program for such an event, giving my time and energy to something bigger than me, and meeting others who are interested in doing the same. Unfortunately, my choices for participation are not at clear-cut as I originally anticipated. If I want to train close to home with the Capital area group, my tri option is the Olympic-distance Philadelphia Triathlon. If I am willing to commute a bit more, I can do the sprint-distance Celebration Triathlon with the group out of Columbia. I do firmly believe that the Olympic distance is a bit over my head at this point, coming off an injury. I can see that as something I work towards in the future. For right now, my immediate goal is to pick something, work through the bumps, and finish it out in the end. I think the sprint distance is much more attainable. But, hopefully the additional distance to get to workouts (especially early morning swims) won't be too discouraging.
I still have some deciding on my own to do, as well as waiting for the family to make final plans for a summer vacation. Unfortunately, all would occur at about the same time. Regardless of what happens with that, I hope to work through my recent issues with running (hip flexor pain, especially) to be able to finish the Cherry Blossom 10 miler this year. If I can do it in 1:50, and help Jen to get to her qualifier, then all the better. I am really looking forward to seeing the improvement in my energy level, eating and sleeping habits, and overall well-being as a result of all this. I appreciate Jen, Komal, Jodi, and all my exercise buddies... without them I wouldn't be even this far this year.
earworm: The Killers - Human
currently reading: lots of work stuff
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment