Thursday, October 8, 2015

I'm semi-automatic, my prayers schizophrenic, but I'll live on

So as karmic payback for being a stubborn jackass and not getting orthotics, I now have a ganglion cyst on or around the prior surgery site in my foot (now 1yr 4 months old).

I'm sure there is no causal relationship here. The cyst may be a reaction to my bad running form, it may be a result of the surgery itself, or it may just be a progression of the normal degeneration in my (rapidly aging) bones and joints. We may never really know.

All I do know is treatment (aspiration- sucking out the fluid with a syringe- or surgical removal) has a 70-90% recurrence rate.

And the best mode of treatment is 'keeping an eye on it' and wearing shoes that don't irritate it.

The foot is generally sore 90% of the time, but I can still do most things. At least it's not the suture anchor pulling out, the peroneal tendon rupturing, or my foot roughly falling apart like a bad erector set. But I am dealing once again with a constant nagging aching/soreness/pain. It's a constant stressor- like a pebble in your shoe that never comes out- and it wears on you after a while. And why on earth did I have surgery again?

RnR Brooklyn this weekend, and 10 days from 1 week in Peru hiking Macchu Picchu. And hopefully after that a nice long break. When I had registered for Brooklyn a few months ago, I had it in my head I could challenge my PR of 1:58. But since the cyst started bothering me about a month ago, my training has gone to sh!t. No land speed records broken this time, but at least I'll be in one piece. Little victories.


No comments:

Post a Comment