Thursday, September 22, 2011

Heroes.

This article inspired me to go back and write a little bit about my epic volunteer stint at Nation's Triathlon. I previously wrote about the hassles of DC Tri, and the logistics of organizing such a big race in such a busy area. DC Tri hosts about 3000 athletes, Nation's hosts about 6000-7000. For this reason, I think I'm okay with never doing this race myself. But with many of my fellow 2011 NTPers doing the race, the strong presence of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and the timing of the race (on 9/11/11), I figured it was my turn to give back to the sport, big time.

I spent the Saturday before the race working packet pickup. I met some great DC Tri Club vets, renewed my club membership at the tent, and distributed waivers to the M25-29 wave (oh, believe me, I enjoyed that post). Then later in the day I was assigned to distribute packets to the relay teams. Which I soon learned was one of the more difficult jobs. Sadly, because of the torrential downpours due to what was left of Hurricane Lee earlier in the week, the swim had to be cancelled. The attrition rate was high, but most athletes were understanding of the decision. The relay teams still had something to say about it, and rightfully so. Many swimmers decided to make the trip despite their leg being cancelled, but still made their opinions well known to the volunteers and events staff. I hope we were able to assuage some flared tempers. I learned SO much about the patience and organization and flexibility needed to run a race of this magnitude.

Early Sunday morning I parked my car near Gallery Place and biked down to Haines Point to the Mile 3 aid station. I took a lap around the point before getting started and saw just how much devastation had occurred prior to the race. The sidewalk in places was completely flooded still, but the road was clear, so they were able to have the run course as planned. The Potomac was muddy, rough, and SMELLY. If anyone was still questioning why the swim was cancelled, they needed to go down and see for themselves. Because we were far away from the start area, I didn't get to see/hear the national anthem, but I did hear the 'rise and shine' bugles from what I assume was Fort McNair across the channel. It was a beautiful, calm morning to take in that moment and thank everyone who has sacrificed for this country, especially on a day like 9/11. We set up our water and gatorade, and readied for the masses. Again got to meet some club vets, reconnect with NTPers, and meet some new folks as well. Got to cheer on many familiar faces as they passed by, as well as many TNT participants, and several disabled vets with various assistive devices/prosthetics. Inspiring.

Overall it was a busy race weekend, but very rewarding. I hope to continue to have experiences like this one during my race career!

2 comments:

  1. Back in the day I started volunteering at race events becuase it usually involved lots of free stuff. But over the years I've enjoyed it more and more even if free goods aren't involved. There is a lot of work that goes into organizing these events and it is humbling to be part of it. It also helps me understand why registration fees exist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, sorry, fixed the broken link.

    I agree, the volunteer aspect has become much more than the schwag for me, but you can't disagree with a cool shirt, cap, and volunteer lounge stocked with snacks! :)

    ReplyDelete