Ever get the feeling that you're living your own version of 'Groundhog Day'? (Or, I prefer 'Run Lola Run') You know, doomed to relive one day over and over until you get it right? Yes? Anyone?
I'm working on it.
[/end yearly existential birthday crisis]
Sunday I completed my first 1500m swim. EVER. Pool or otherwise. I signed up for it on the suggestion of my fellow NTPer, Carrie. It actually was a really good event for this kind of thing. The inaugural Harborfest, 750m loops in the north cove of National Harbor. Really small, friendly event, that also conveniently did not have a bike and run attached to the end. (I love how simple things are now when I only have one of the three to worry about!)
I'm not gonna lie. While my swim class in the morning has been helpful, it's mostly drill-based, so I don't even remember the last time I swam continuously (probably DC Tri in June). I was going on the assumption that my technique work would carry me through. Which may have been true to some extent, but I was very ill-equipped to deal with the currents and chop that was going on in the Harbor that morning (it had rained steadily the night before, and had stopped only on the drive down). I had exhausted myself by the top of the first 750m loop just trying to stay on course. By the second loop all technique was out the window. I am not proud of how much breaststroke I was doing, but I was somehow passing people then. And when I did bust out the freestyle, while it was slow, I like to think my technique was good. I finished in about 43:00 and was the second-to-last out of the water. There actually was a pack of 4-5 finishing around the same time, so I didn't feel all that behind, comparatively. It was nice having other swimmers around even towards the end. Even nicer to have a delicious brunch with a few of them after :)
I now own a t-shirt that says 'I swam a mile in the Potomac River', but unfortunately, by the time I finished they only had size L left. Had they told me I would have had a better chance at getting my shirt size, I would have tried to swim much faster! ;-) Note to race organizers: I feel like a giant compared to alot of triathletes. I am a M. There is no need for a disproportionate amount of XLs. Please scale your tshirt sizes accordingly. Thanks. :)
It was also my first day down at the new National Harbor area. It seems to have a nice collection of upscale shops and restaurants and seems pretty family-friendly. But is anyone else completely disappointed in the new location for The Awakening? It was in such a striking location before, at the end of Haines Point. When you're approaching it, there's nothing else around it, so it was really quite surreal
Now it's just lost in the middle of a bunch of brand new tall highrise condos and ritzy boats.
Oh well. Noone asks me about these things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

The Awakening looks the best when the ground is covered in snow and the trees are withered. Have you seen?
ReplyDeleteI remember seeing The Awakening at Haines Point - probably a few years ago... from the picture there, the new location doesn't seem to suit it very well...
ReplyDeleteCurrent and chop can make a swim really rough, esp. if you aren't used to them - it will get easier with experience. And yes, I agree about race directors needing to re-allocate their sizing of t-shirts! :)