So Saturday I figured I'd be smart and head indoors in the 100+ degree heat. I did 45mins clipped into the bike, which I hadn't done for a while and felt pretty good. Then I decided to check out what this whole tri thing felt like and figured I'd make it an even hour of cardio on the treadmill. I got about 5 mins in before I had to stop and limp back to my car. The outside of my right foot was incredibly painful and I could barely put pressure on it at all. I immediately went home to ice it. Luckily, I had plenty of opportunities to rest as Saturday was ridiculously hot (and I watched 2 movies in one day, I don't even remember the last time I did that) and Sunday we lost power, so I picked up a book. But Monday was softball, and running the bases and stretching to cover throws at first were painful. Then yesterday was a public panel meeting, requiring me to dress up and wear not ideal shoes. By the end of the day the pain had spread to the achilles, and anything related to weight bearing or rotation of my ankle (walking, driving, stair climbing) was pretty much impossible. It felt like i had no stability or control of that foot. I immediately put into action the best RICE I could do, but given that we didn't get our power restored until 11p last night, I didn't have any ice (nor was there any to be found in this town).
I consulted with my deputy division director today, who's a foot and ankle surgeon. Her quick examination resulted in the diagnosis of peroneal tendon inflammation, and not a stress fracture. (hooray). I'm on RICE and ibuprofen for another 3 days, after which if there's no improvement I get to go see a specialist.
The storm that knocked out our power on Sunday was quite a doozy. Thanks to those who graciously put us up for a few days! The worst part of it all, honestly, was being on the roads. Dead stop lights mean 4-way stop, people. Not "I have the right-of-way all the time." Even city buses. Sheesh.
I went to happy hour with the review team after the panel meeting yesterday. The epidemiologist on the file is also the epi team member that I will be working with on a post-market project. The epi/stats side of my work has always kind of interested me and I was considering a part time MPH at Maryland not so long ago. I like to think we hit it off at happy hour, and I look forward to working with her in the future. If all goes well I can see it being my ticket out of the engineering/review world, even just temporarily.
I forgot that I can finish Dan Brown books in just a few hours. I'm hoping to be done with this one by the end of the week so I can get started on the next book club book- "Eat, Pray, Love." I'm fairly excited since I've heard good things about it, and it sounds like a theme I can relate to at this point in my life.
current earworm: I need new music
currently reading: The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh no! Sorry to hear... hope your foot gets better soon. Though, that is very good news that it's not a stress fracture!
ReplyDelete